Jacob Lawrence Art History Workbook- Biography & Art Activity Unit Middle SchoolRegular price $6.00 Save $-6.00
This art history workbook teaches students about the artist Jacob Lawrence using the Discipline-Based Art Education model. Students learn about Lawrence and his artistic process through reading and watching a biography of the artist, an art analysis, coloring sheets, and reflecting on the way he would develop a narrative series of art, similar to writing a graphic novel, film, or computer game. Finally, students create their own piece of art based on current-day issues they've researched and reflected on.
The final project has students create a piece of art that illustrates a newsworthy topic that is important to them. They will find an article based on something they've experienced, create a geometric/graphic drawing of the subject and write a caption similar in style to the art of Jacob Lawrence. Once complete the students fill out a reflection sheet on their final artwork.
Worksheets can be used as sub lessons, as enrichment to your art lessons, or as min-lessons on their own. An essential for any art classroom.
What's inside: (See Preview File)
- Artist biography information sheet with examples
- Instruction sheet
- More resources sheet with links to videos
- (3) Coloring Sheets with color schemes
- (1) Coloring Sheet with reflection questions
- Analysis of The Library
- Analysis of Four Panels from The Migration Series
- Elements of Art in Jacob Lawrence's work
- Jacob Lawrence's use of color worksheet
- Final Project Planning Sheet
- FInal Project Sheet with Title and Caption
- Student Example
- Project Reflection Sheet
- Analysis of The Library KEY
- Analysis of Four Panels from The Migration Series KEY
- Elements of Art in Lawrence's work KEY
- Lawrence's use of color worksheet KEY
Ways to use in the classroom:
- As an introduction to a famous artist and their work.
- Worksheets culminate with student creating their own work in the style of artist.
- To support other skills such as: Communication through Art
- Learn about Narrative Art
- As early finisher work or as a quick art substitute lesson.
Note: There are options on how to give students color references other than to print these sheets in color. You can project the example using a document camera or have students look up artwork on a chrome book or smartphone, for example.
Learn more about TpT Credits here:
A bundle of additional artists can be found here:
More individual artist packets here:
Copyright Fair Use Rationale:
Artist original artwork being used only for demonstration/supplemental information.
Artist artwork featured are:
Historically significant artworks
Readily available on the internet
A low-resolution copy of the original artwork and are unsuitable for commercial reproduction.
This workbook was produced in collaboration with MaryJo Rosania-Harvie. Coloring sheets were created by Maryjo Rosania-Harvie for A Space to Create Art, LLC. for exclusive use in this resource.
©2021 A Space to Create, Published October 26, 2021
Not intended for resale or sharing on an open/public website without permission.